Green Web Design
There is no better way to save trees and resources than offering your clients a wealth of up-to-date information about your company and products / services with a website. Plus, your website can be 100% solar powered with an green website hosting plan. We recommend AISO for website hosting, as they run entirely on solar power – it’s a pretty amazing idea, learn more about them at AISO.net.
Check out the Top 10 web design tips, which will give you ideas on making your website the best it can be.
I can help you research the best domain names for your business. Picking out a good domain name is vital – it is important to choose a domain name that is short, easy to remember, and easy to spell. Ideally, you want to own the .com version of your domain, as .net and others are often times mistakenly typed in with .com, and you will lose potential visitors.
In addition to a website, you can also eliminate a lot of your printed marketing pieces by replacing them with email newsletters. Customers love to sign up for their favorite restaurant or store’s email list. I myself am a subscriber to my local greenhouse, City Floral, as well as a few of my favorite restaurants. Neighbors and customers enjoy email newsletters as they can take advantage of special "member only" savings and coupons, as well as find out about events your business is putting on. This is a great way to market your business and keep repeat customers coming back. You’ll find website and email marketing is a very cost-effective and eliminates printing and mailing costs, saving paper and the environment.
I offer website design ranging from Flash website design, email newsletters and signup forms, ecommerce / online stores, blog creation, and search engine optimization (SEO). Recent clients include solar energy companies, restaurants, non-profits, and others.
My business goal is to grow into the green market – we want to provide design services to businesses that want to help keep the world a wonderful place to live.
Contact Idelle if you are interested in website design with green in mind: 720.260.3541
Top 10 web design tips
A well designed website will help your users easily find what they are looking for and will make your business look professional. Designing a website from the beginning with Search Engines and your users in mind will help your website to be a success. Here are some practical tips and examples:
- Simplify, simplify, simplify. What is the most important thing you want to tell the visitor about on each page? If a web site has too much information on a page, it ends up being confusing to the user. Additionally, Search Engines actually prefer that you separate topics out onto their own pages, as it sees this as more relevant to the users.
- Visually highlight important calls to action such as your telephone number and email address. Consider using icons to highlight important items on a page.
- Set up an email newsletter – this is a inexpensive and environmentally-friendly way to keep in touch with your customers, notifying them of new products, sales, events, or to send them special discounts for being newsletter subscribers.
- First impressions are very important. When people arrive at your web site, you have about five seconds to convince them to stay. On your homepage, keep it simple, communicate what you do and what makes your business different.
- Be personal. Use photographs of people and testimonials from happy clients to build trust. Make sure you include your address and phone numbers on your contact page. People like being able to easily contact you and know where you are located.
- Use maps. Buyers may not be familiar with where you are located. It’s also helpful to have a custom map designed for your site to indicate landmarks that might not be found on Google maps. However, it is also important to link to a Google or Yahoo map so that customers can easily get directions to your locations.
- Make sure to do your keyword research before you start building your site. After discovering what users are searching, you should then choose 6 to 10 phrases you want to rank for and try to incorporate them naturally into your page titles and headlines.
- Make sure to organize your web site so that it is easy for your users to navigate and find what they are looking for. Clear and logical navigation will help users navigate your site and help them to understand what you do and how you can meet their needs.
- Use web conventions. For example, using underlined text when linking and make your logo link back to your homepage. People have certain expectations driven by their experiences of other websites. You need to understand what these are and make sure you accommodate them in your design.
- Limit your color palette. Professional looking websites tend to use 2-4 colors. This site uses green and white. Use color to help highlight important features on your web site.